January 04, 2012

I don’t like rona dhona type daily soaps: Rati Pandey



What made Hitler didi aka Indira Sharma turn into the tyrant that she is? An overdose of saas-bahu melodrama is to blame here! After featuring in daily soaps such as Miley Jab Hum Tum, Raat Hone Ko Hai and Har Ghar Kuch Kehta Hai, Hitler didi alias Rati Pandey has sworn to never walk the lane again
Rati Pandey has had enough of rona dhona in reel life to last a lifetime. Now she is happy playing a strict and stubborn Indira in Zee TV’s popular show Hitler Didi.

But what pushed her to make this choice? “After having done saas-bahu drama once in my career, now I would like to explore other types of roles. As long as the show has a different concept, I am open to doing it. I don’t like saas-bahu, dushmani, rona dhona type serials. I think they’ve had their moment under the sun, they’re outdated now.”

Rati feels that there are many sides to a woman, and such shows limit it to just two aspects. “These shows project only two done-to-death stereotypical images of a woman. They’re either the evil, ever-scheming, ever-plotting breed or they fall in the category of the demure damsels perennially in distress. There are so many other aspects to a woman’s character. I like shows that feature women as well-rounded individuals with depth in the character, rather than painting them as limp, uni-dimensional caricatures. Indira is an independent girl who takes the responsibility of her family, single-handedly. She has had to face some difficult circumstances, there are also several lighter aspects to her life that are brought out on the show.

The actor will play negative character if the script is challenging enough. “If I am offered a role which is not only noticeable but also challenging to the core in a serial, I am game to do even a negative role. However, let me reiterate that I do not want to be yet another vamp in yet another saas-bahu serial. I do not wish to play the vamp in any saas-bahu show for the simple reason that the actor playing these roles are required to not only wear loud makeup which I find obnoxious, but are also expected to ham ridiculously, resorting to all kinds of exaggerated mannerisms and facial contortions.”

But the actor shows a keen interest in reality shows, “I would love to do a reality show someday, but the show should be music-related. I can’t live without music. Music is like relaxation therapy for me. Right now it’s just a hobby and I am not yet talking about getting into it as a professional. But I would like to go down that path someday. How good am I as a singer, only time will tell. In fact, I was about to come up with an album of peppy numbers with Piyush Soni, but the project was inordinately delayed. In any case, I prefer to go slow and steady instead of zooming to the top and then crashing down with a thud shortly afterwards.”

Join us on Facebook

Copyright © 2012 - ScrutinyByKHimaanshu

No comments:

Post a Comment